Saturday, August 25, 2012

In search of the PERFECT lip scrub.

It's been a few days (ok longer) since I posted.  I've been working more and trying to navigate through the red tape of medical insurance for my leg injury.
Anyway, I'm really, really, annoyed right now.  Not just with that whole leg thing but with my lipstick.  Oh yes, I love red lips.  I have a great lipstick. The color is beautiful and it wears well, I just can't find a way to keep it from feathering.  I have tried lip liner and have a great primer (Laura Geller's Lip Spackle is awesome) but it still feathers.  I know much of it has to do with my "mature skin".  Let's just call it what it is, I have wrinkles.  I am old, I am not the proverbial spring chicken any more. (Why on earth would I want to be compared to poultry, but that's another story.)

Anyway.  As far as lip color and staying power goes, I really can't beat LimeCrime or Laura Geller.  These stay on and feel great.  I just cannot, for the life of me, prevent feathering.  I can, however, keep it from happening longer by taking the following steps:

1. Exfoliate!  Oh yes, it makes a difference.  There are several great products on the market right now but I prefer to make my own.  Here is how:


  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp granulated white sugar
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp fresh squeezed lime juice 
It is rather runny but I rub it on my lips with my fingers and then rinse it off (ok so sometimes I eat it)  then repeat until my lips are smooth.

2. Use a primer.  I use Laura Geller Lip Spackle.   It goes on smooth and stays put.  Don't use too much or it just slides all over the place.

3. Honestly, use a lip liner.  Don't be stingy with it either.  I fill in almost my whole lip.  I'm looking in to a nude liner so I don't have to try and match every shade of lipstick I own (can you say lipstick whore?).

4. Be generous with the lipstick.  Blot it then reapply. 

5. Now here is the kicker, Reline those lips. Clean up the edge and run some concealer up to the edge. Yup , it's a whole lot like touch up painting.

6. SEAL IT. Use a long lasting gloss.  Make sure you take it all the way to the edge of your lip.  TA DA. 

Mine still feathers but, it takes a whole lot longer to feather and it's easier to correct it when it does.


What tricks are you using?  I'd love to never have to touch up feathering again!
 ~Sharon

PS- there is a link to LimeCrime cosmetics here on my page.  Check out their lip colors...A...MA...ZING!



No comments:

Post a Comment